Ready for another Resistance Report? I hope so, ’cause I’m always up for more Resistance! Join me as I dig into some of the most interesting and intriguing story elements in Synara’s Score.
Contains spoilers from Resistance episodes Fuel For The Fire, The High Tower, Signal From Sector Six, and Synara’s Score. Also a couple character arc-related spoilers from TCW and Rebels that hopefully you know already.
So when I said we’d be digging into some of the most interesting and intriguing story elements this episode, I was mainly thinking of one big specific story element — the unexpected friendship that forms between Tam and Synara. But it’s a story element with a lot of little story elements worth taking the time to chew on. Don’t worry, there will be some Twilight’s Highlights at the end to add some extra flavor 🙂
As soon as I saw Tam and Synara chatting and sharing life stories (sort of), I couldn’t help but instantly hurt for Tam. It wasn’t that long ago we learned how she’d befriended Hype — and then he’d decided he was too cool to hang with her. And now here she is befriending someone we know to be a doublecrossing pirate! But yet, I so understand. Tam really really needs a sister. How could she not want that, when she’s stuck at her work-home with Kaz and Neeku all the time? Having a gal-pal to talk to makes all the difference when you’ve got a brother (or two, in Tam’s case) at home, I know that from experience! Plus, they already have a lot in common — shared aspirations, a shared interest in mechanics. The only thing better than a gal-pal is a gal-pal who just gets you! It’s heartbreaking to think that Tam could get hurt all over again. Like I’ve said before, what’s made Tam such an interesting character thus far is that she comes off suspicious and jaded, but she clearly craves friendship. She needs people in her life who care, who encourage, who stand by her. She doesn’t have her real family to do that for her, so she looks to those who could be thicker-than-blood friend-family. It’s not that she doesn’t have that in some ways, of course. Kaz and Neeku are her adoptive bros. However, I think Tam hasn’t yet taken the time to truly appreciate their friendship. Perhaps, like Kaz (as we discussed on Fuel For The Fire), Tam has this very particular idea of what a real friend’s supposed to look like. Something seemingly bigger and better than just the folks she’s stuck with. But what I hope Tam and Kaz ultimately learn, whatever happens, is that best friends rarely come in perfect packages. It’s not just the friends who never annoy you, never argue with you, and always share your favorite things. Thicker-than-blood family is made of people who care, encourage, and stand by you, whether they “get you” or not. Maybe that’s what it’s really supposed to be when someone “gets you” — something deeper than lunch break hangouts and common interests.
But with that being said, this doesn’t mean that Tam and Synara aren’t destined to be soul-sisters. I was so pleasantly surprised to see the respect on Synara’s face when Tam saved her. But yet, maybe not as surprised as I could’ve been. Though Synara only speaks vaguely of her past, and under the guise of her scavenger alter-ego, there’s little doubt that she had to have come from hard times to be a pirate. That shared desire for something greater has to be genuine. Plus, as far as I know, Kragan’s crew is mostly made up of guys, so I can’t imagine the idea of a having a little sister wouldn’t hold some appeal. Beyond that though, it’s clear she’s not all that chummy with them, either (yeah I’m lookin’ at you jerk weequay boi). What Synara has with her crewmembers can’t be anything close to the friend-family bonds Tam has with her crew. Certainly, I doubt any of Syn’s “friends” would be so quick to rush out and help her in a fight. I’m not saying this guarantees Synara puts her life of crime behind her and stays BFFs with Tam, but the fact that Tam’s kindness seems to have made a real impression on her… I think there’s a chance they could still be sisters 🙂 I love stories where we follow an antagonist’s journey from baddie to hero. Will Synara join the ranks of the Ventresses and Kalluses of the galaxy? We can only wait and watch! (Yes I know I’m terribly behind on Resistance. I’ll keep working on it)
– Is that gorg here for lunch or a visit? And is it the same gorg from last time??
– Is it wrong that I rather admire the way Flix so classily calls Kaz an idiot? Perhaps it’s something about the guy’s voice…
– You make some really good friends, Kaz… when will the day come this guy becomes a better judge of character? Well, not with Tam and Neeku and all… I’m thinking more of the hotshots he hung out with a few episodes ago. And Synara, of course. Apparently…?
– Interesting. How long is “a while back”? Wonder why Synara waited so long to cause trouble. Well, that actually makes sense. She’s a smart pirate.
– Right because you’re sooo good with dangerous people… you can barely handle Tam!
– Just noticed Kragan’s edgy-cool face tat. The #DesignGoals never stop around here!
– Oh so now you want to be friendly, huh Synara? “Hey guys!! How’re my besties? I brought some potato chips! Get it ’cause I got you guys that chip earlier?”
– This would be a good time for a Jedi mind trick. Too bad we don’t have any Jedi ’round here.
– Omg there are two other lasat. That makes me feel better about the one who got eaten. They look awfully alike — I bet they’re brothers.
– Funny that Tam and Yeager hold their own pretty well in a fight, but Kaz? Well… Force’s just with him.
– Kaz is like “OW. What is even the point of this shoulder armor?!”
Keep The Peace,