Happy Star Wars Day, friends! It’s the perfect day for me to get back to my Resistance posts! Let’s see what secrets I can uncover and storylines I can analyze inside of Station Theta Black.
Contains spoilers from Episode VII, Episode VIII, and Resistance episode Station Theta Black, as well as earlier events from the season so far.
#ThatMoment when your mentor makes a potentially-disastrous decision and you want to say something, but aren’t sure if you should because you’re not certain whether he’s trying to teach you something or if he’s just plain crazy. From the instant Leia made it abundantly clear to Poe that he wasn’t to engage the enemy, I knew that’s most likely what was about to happen, and I was already feeling sorry for Kaz.
Poe is always one step ahead, always on the move, always jumping into the next big thing. His friends and allies rarely seem prepared when he decides to take a detour. BB-8 might be the sole exception. Well, at least he’s learned to roll with it, anyway (whoops, pun not intended). But yeah, this fierce, determined “let’s blow something up!” mentality of Poe’s does not bode well for our sweet clumsy Kaz. Back on Signal From Sector Six, the boys were up against a threat neither of them quite knew how to handle. Poe and Kaz were almost equally off their game facing down those monkey-lizards, so there was no time for any of his usual “Dameroning-do” (Like derring-do, get it? I think that fits). All that mattered is they rescued everybody who needed rescuing, and then got out alive. Today, however, Poe couldn’t resist pushing the limits of his orders a teeny smidge. The unofficial mission did result an important find, but was it worth risking Kaz and BB’s lives?
It was really something, watching Poe in that uncertain moment when Kaz and BB-8 are nowhere to be found. Despite his earlier quip about not being used to life-and-death situations, Poe does a good job of getting himself into them. And I’m not talking about his Resistance work (though it certainly has its share of peril), I’m talking about the more needlessly-dangerous stunts like this! It seemed like, for those few seconds with Kaz’s x-wing MIA, that Poe was starting to feel the weight of his hasty actions. I wouldn’t be surprised if Poe has lost friends in missions gone south before, but I don’t know if he ever would have been quite this at fault. I love how easily Poe makes friends. I liked him pretty well at the beginning of Episode VII, but it was his unshakable loyalty to BB-8, knowing how much his friends — even this little ball-droid — mattered to him, that made me truly love his character. It’s what makes him still so lovable even when he makes a variety of misguided decisions in Episode VIII… and some more right here in Resistance. My point is, I know how much he cares for his friends and allies, I know he had no intention of putting Kaz in a seriously dangerous situation. He just hadn’t had the chance to stop and think. I think because he’s become an older brother figure to Kaz, Poe would feel even more responsible for anything that happened to him. I would love to think that Poe learned a real lesson today, but it’s hard to say, having seen his shenanigans in VIII. Maybe he’s at least trying, anyway. Perhaps the Poe Dameron we meet in IX will be a wiser, less-dangerous flyboy.
‘Course, where’s the fun in that? 😛 Whatever the case, Poe’s still awesome.
– 0:56 (on the digital copy, anyway, counting that Disney Channel opener) is a glorious moment! Yeah… Yeager made a mistake, I do think XD
– “C’mon don’t explode on me, don’t explode! Yeahhh… we’re gonna explode.” Me whenever I’m having technical problems of any kind.
– Aww so cute! BB and CB are happy to see each other and havin’ a little chat! I WUV THEMM ❤
– "Lovedroids"? Oh good, I'm not the only one thinking it. #BBxCB4Life!
– What an honor to be in the presence of the Princess– I mean, General!
– Pfft Poe's all "Omg this kid has no chill." What, you weren't ever a fanboy once?
– Haha Poe has quite the reputation, don't he? VIII wasn't the first time Leia had to give him that look XP
– "Never really ready for anything, but that hasn’t stopped me yet!” That is so me! That may be my favorite line in the whole series now.
– Suddenly, at marker 7:03, Poe realized giving Kaz a blaster was a terrible idea XD
– “Simulated weapons?? Kids these days. I’ve been shootin’ womp rats since my daddy could fit a pistol in my hand!”
– I seriously still relate to Kaz so much. He would so be me in a gunfight.
– Poe blows the “smoke” off his blaster. Does that actually work in SW? Ah whatever he’s still so kewl he can get away with it.
– I have to say building a station in a meteor is pretty genius. Makes sense if you’re building a cataclysmic superweapon in a planet.
– I wish I had that kind of Captain Phasma confidence that allows me to look totally cool and have everything under control, even when I’m less than successful.
– Also, Leia’s probably glad for anybody who actually obeys orders. Unlike *cough* certain dangerous flyboys…
– BTW, sorry I haven’t gotten to the “Imperial Doza” discussion I said I’d write about last time. I didn’t know the next episode would take such a detour! But don’t worry I will get to that conversation eventually; I just want to wait until the next episode that revisits that storyline.
Keep the peace,