So whoa you guys, The Doza Dilemma was a supremely-awesome episode and I’m so ready to get all my thoughts — both analytical and fangirly — out of my head and on-screen!
Contains spoilers from Resistance episode The Doza Dilemma and related events from the season thus far.
When Kragan chastised Synara for forgetting who her “real friends” are, I thought he was being a bit paranoid. After all, nothing had really convinced me so far that Synara wasn’t 99.9% committed to this spy job. Yeah, Tam saved her life once and Kaz brought her lunch that time (he technically also saved her life, though she probably doesn’t know it), but I doubted that would be enough to make them totally her new best friends. We soon find out, however, a lot has changed since she first arrived.
Walking into Aunt Z’s, Synara is bombarded with kindness, caring, and acceptance. Kaz genuinely wants to know if she’s doing all right. Tam’s quick to offer up a round of darts. Even Torra, who’s only just met Synara, is more than happy to invite her over along with Tam and Kaz. Watching the four of them together chatting and playing hologames, it’s impossible not to feel how much Synara wants this. To have real friends, to be part of a supportive community, to actually be trusted! It about broke my heart at the time, imagining what was bound to happen when everything came crashing down.
I kept thinking “Anytime now, Syn, you can just walk away! You don’t need Kragan or anyone on that nasty old crew! You don’t need to kidnap anyone or steal anything ever again! Just stay on Castilon and live your best life with your new besties!” But I know it’s more complicated than that. We don’t really know her backstory (or how much of what she’s said about it is true), but there’s something apparently keeping her tied to Kragan and her fellow pirates. Something that won’t let her just ditch them outright, even after the pirates’ job goes south and there doesn’t seem to be a need for her spy services anymore. My theory at the moment is that she was raised by pirates, maybe Kragan himself. If so, no wonder she’d be so torn. Or it may not be so much to do with family ties as it does with the bad things that happen when you doublecross pirates (or do anything that looks like a doublecross). Whatever the case, I hope Synara ultimately finds her way out. And that she’s able to hold on to these wonderful friendships she’s formed… somehow, some way.
– “Hey, Synara! We never see you anymore! Everything OK?” Has it really been that long? This show’s moving so fast! Also awwz Kaz you are just too sweet for this galaxy :3
– Synara’s use of “cycles” here sounds like another term for “hours”. Interesting.
– I just love that Torra’s become a part of their squad now! I still have questions as to why she decided to (mostly) trust Kaz again… perhaps Tam helped put her at ease. “Kaz? A spy? Ha! That’s a good one. He couldn’t spy to save his life!”
– Hehe I just noticed Buggles trying to play with the holo-drones! Too cute!
– 4:37 may be the most adorable Kaz face ever X3
– I was thinking Kaz would be better at this since he’s trained with simulated weapons and all, but… he’s doing exactly what I do whenever I play fast-paced shooting games, where I get frazzled in the heat of the moment and start blasting all over the place! I’d wondered if he was faking it to throw the others off his Resistance-spy trail, but TBH I think he’s just bad at it, period.
– This time “cycle” is used in place of “shift”. Still not very clear here.
– Oh I see Bucket’s been napping on the job again! Hehe BB-8 you little stinker 😛
– Hmm wonder what Neeku was up to while the others were hanging out? They must have different break times, because otherwise I can’t imagine him turning down fun times with friends!
– Not gonna lie, this episode’s made me a hardcore Kaznara shipper right now. I don’t know if it’ll last but AHH KAZ IS SUCH A SWEETHEART! Plus, you long-time readers know I love this kind of one-sided crushy stuff :3
– I know that apparently Valik is the same species as Aurra Sing, but I’m convinced she must have some zabrak genes with that horn-mohawk there. Unless getting horn implants in this galaxy is as common as ear piercings and tattoos.
– OK here’s a long-held SW query of mine: why is it that droids always seem take a second to stare at the droid popper (or other similar weapons) before they get zapped? Doesn’t matter whether it’s a dopey-but-endearing B1 or a hulking guard, the clankers apparently find random metal balls fascinating! So much so that they don’t consider they probably should get rid of the projectile and fast. Welp Doza doesn’t have ’em around for their logic processors (or their Clone Wars-less memory banks).
– THE LIGHTING IN THIS CHASE SCENE!! OHMYGOSH I’M IN LOVE!! It’s so Pirates Of The Caribbean!
– Hey there’s a nikto pirate back there! The skin on their faces must get a lot rougher as they get older. I initially thought Neeku’s smooth face was just a design choice, but there you go! Learn something new everyday!
Keep the peace,