When brainstorming possible posts to write this weekend, I realized I’d never taken the time to appreciate Lego’s The Resistance Rises shorts. I am remedying that today, because these are super-fun, super-clever, and even know how to bring some serious feels as we get to revisit the Force Awakens era in a whole new way! Let me share some of my favorite things about them as we watch.
NOTE: Contains spoilers from Episode VII
POE TO THE RESCUE
The first of the shorts offers a really nice look at the (sort of) average daily life for the Resistance and the First Order before VII’s events. Starkiller Base has yet to make its first appearance, but Captain Phasma and Kylo Ren are still coming up with new ways to make things difficult for their enemies. But when you’ve got the crack team of Poe, Threepio, and BB-8 on your tail, the odds are not something you wanna hear 🙂
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– Nice hearing Tom Kane’s narrator voice at a different time and place in the SW universe!
– Ackbar is a serious boss you guys. I don’t know how old he is, but he sure hasn’t slowed down! Wow did anyone else sort of just remember that he’s been through the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War and now all this stuff with the First Order vs. the Resistance? It’s almost unreal how much of Star Wars history he’s been involved in! Major respect points.
– (Mostly) acid rain-proof umbrellas. A must for any Resistance pilot! How did Threepio get out there though?? For an old droid, he gets himself into a lot of trouble! #Understatement
– Threepio, I think you may be the first person in the world to look at BB-8 and not be excited. But I guess since Artoo’s been out of commission a while, it’s easy to see how Threepio might’ve been bummed out those beeps and chirps were from a different astromech. Aww that just made me a shed a tear…
– Poe and Threepio’s dynamic is hilarious. I could seriously use more of these guys’ shenanigans in my life. The ace pilot and his general’s very-particular protocol droid! Comedy gold!
– Hey Threeps, for what it’s worth, I’d like to hear the story of that new arm of yours. I probably will once I start going through all those comics I’m severely overdue on reading. Until then, maybe R0-GR can help you write your autobiography! 🙂
– That graycoat really should’ve known better than to stand underneath a troop transport’s door #Fail #ButWhatAGloriousFailTho The fact his head got attached to the bottom of the door Lego-style made it all the funnier XD
– Boy they had a lot of prisoners. What’d they have against a wampa and a jawa?? Who knows? Probably Kylo Ren’s just annoyed by everything XP
– “Captain Phasma… you have failed me for the first time. Which is… weird. That’s never happened!” Love that he’s totally channeling his grandpa-senpai again. Also mad props to whoever’s voicing him. I wish these things had credits ’cause if I didn’t know better I’d think it was Adam Driver himself!
– POE’S X-WINGGGGG GUYS. IT’S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WATCHED THIS SHORT SO I FORGOT IT WAS IN THERE AND NOW I’M POSITIVELY GIDDY.
REY STRIKES BACK
Everyday life on Jakku looks to be nothing short of unforgiving and miserable. Episode VII already made that clear, but this short certainly drives the point home again. But Rey ain’t takin’ crud from no one today. Not from Plutt, not from Plutt’s cronies, and certainly not from any space cacti! I love her drive, determination, and outright sass in this short, as well as her impressive building skillz, as she takes on every blow this desolate world can deal her. There’s a reason she’s made it this long out here.
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– “Nothing can flourish there, but a young scavenger named REY is certainly trying….” well-said, Mr. Kane!
– I gotta say, I think my favorite thing about this short is Kevin, Unkar Plutt’s precious pet space cactus and only friend. I just think about it and I die laughing. It’s good to know the guy has a soft spot for something besides money! Also, whenever I want to work on my Rey impression, “‘Kevin’? You gave your plant a name?”, is my go-to XD It’s all just so beautifully hilarious and perfectly Lego.
– Suddenly, Twilight remembers she has named plants before and realizes she’s the pot calling the kettle “black”.
– I love her speeder is like a bucking bronco with those thugs! Don’t mess with her fierce, noble steed!
– Guys! Throwing Lego bricks around is dangerous! Do you know how much those things hurt when their corners hit your skin?! Or when you step on one?! Or when you get your hair caught between them?! Things just got realllllll…
– Random thought: if it weren’t for the fact Luke’s going to be training her, I bet Rowan Freemaker would take her on as his apprentice. Girl can masterbuild!
– HOLY MOS EISLEY, THAT’S THE GHOST OUT THERE. WITH MODIFICATIONS. I THINK. I COULD BE WRONG. BUT THIS IS CANON TO ME NOW. Someone from the original crew better be flying it though. I doubt General Syndulla would let some schnook steal it. Goodness this just got me thinkin’ on the Rebs’ futures something fierce. *Gets lost in thought for ten minutes pondering what fate may befall the Rebels in their last season* It could just be another ship of the same variety, but… you have to wonder.
HUNTING FOR HAN
Maz’s Castle looks like a fun place, even with its sometimes-frightening and untrustworthy clientele. Perhaps because its owner is so wise and welcoming and noble. But as we see in this short, for all the crazy crowds it attracts, there are always a few genuine souls who come through the Castle’s doors…
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– You guys ever wonder where Maz finds this stuff? Avid eBayer I guess. And I’m sure having a professional career as a pirate helps you know where to find certain things…
– Knowing how this ends, why would anyone slap a “poisonous” sticker on a suitcase containing musical instruments? Well I guess Bala Tik’s got a reputation to keep. Bartering something so non-lethal would get a laugh out of the rest of the galaxy’s common criminals. That, or maybe certain species are actually negatively effected by the sounds of these space-saxophones, like maybe it makes their heads explode or something. Hmm…
– The “silver fox” comment cracked me up beyond belief. But it’s true… all of it!
– You have to wonder though if all of these incidents were really Han’s fault. I mean, sure he’s not doing the best with his life right now but it doesn’t mean he’s a complete scoundrel! Everyone’s just jealous ’cause they know they will never age that well XP
– “I heard Greedo shot first!” “THEM’S FIGHTIN’ WORDS!!” Oh boy, this again…? Guys. There are far more interesting debates in the world of Star Wars than that old argument.
– Wow can Maz use that lightsaber! She may have been saving it for someone special to find it someday, but it sure has its uses in the meantime!
– And aw yay Lando!! I love so much that, though he and Han seem to have gone different ways over the course of their lives, Lando still always has his buddy’s back. It gives me many feels. Wonder what the old smoothie’s been up to though? Y’know what, I bet he manages that casino Finn and Rose are gonna go on a mission to in VIII. That would be truly awesome. Either way, watching him play the space-sax with Maz Kanata is so sweet and gives me hope that Lando Calrissian’s doin’ all right, wherever in the galaxy he is 🙂
THE TROUBLE WITH RATHTARS
Possibly my favorite short in the bunch, we get to see an average everyday for Han and Chewie and the dangers of their recent business ventures, as well as a softer side to one of my favorite SW monsters.
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– But why did Chewie let the rathtars out to begin with?? Did he feel sorry for them? I could see Chewbacca having some compassion on the poor giant squishy balls of death.
– OK and seriously, despite they’re being pursued by TIEs and they’ve got loose rathtars on board, Han is still handling this clunky ship like a dream.
– “That’s Dooku, Kitster, Lobot”??? Wizard code, bro XD
– Also Han rolling the window down is just so ludicrously hilarious, like OMG that’s so good. I’m convinced this freighter might’ve been rebuilt with some earth-made spare parts. It’s got side-view mirrors, seatbelts (evidently), and brakes! I’m pretty sure none of those things are normal, but hey spare parts are spare parts.
– Chewie lullabying the rathtars to sleep is literally too precious! I’ve always loved the rathtars, as they made a big impression on me as the first SW monster I saw on the big screen, but this short made me love them even more, ’cause really they’re just giant squishy sweethearts :3
– Even if they can and will eat your face any other chance they get.
ATTACK OF THE CONSCIENCE
A surprisingly deep little finale, we get a sense as to where Finn came from and the friends he’d made, and why it wasn’t just that first attack on Jakku that changed his mind on his stormtrooping career.
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– WHOA THEY STILL HAVE AT-ATS! Do you think they finally figured out how to make ’em Jedi-proof?
– I like this concept of ‘trooper training looking like middle school soccer practice XD
– Wait. So they only fight fake Rebels, but with real detonators?? *Shoots a disapproving look at Phasma*
– I think the voice of Finn is also the voice of Zander Freemaker, and he’s doing awesome at it.
– “That’s Kylo Ren! He’s awesome!” “I know! He threatened to have me destroyed once!” “…WHAT?” Um yeah, this really ain’t soccer practice, FN-2187.
– I like that every time Finn starts questioning the plan, he lifts his helmet up, which we know is a major stormtrooper no-no. I’m sure the First Order taught the ‘troopers that they’re the good guys and everything they’re doing is for peace ultimately, but I’m glad that somehow, Finn has a broader moral compass that’s allowing him to see attacking a village as questionable. Guess he was out sick that one day they had the seminar on jerkiness.
– And boy… when you think about what’s about to happen from here… OH YOU POOR CHILD. YOU POOR, POOR CHILD. *Cries for Finn and his friend, too*
– But despite all the pain about to go down, Captain Phasma’s not wrong when she remarks “…your destiny awaits.”
So yeah aren’t those just great? I do so love me some Lego Star Wars! And since I haven’t discussed The Force Awakens as much I’dve like to, I’m glad I could immerse myself in this era again and hopefully start some interesting conversations as we get excited for the next chapter in this beautiful saga in only six more months!
Keep The Peace,