OK so you know I wasn’t gonna not talk about the Freemaker Adventures shorts that came out Star Wars Day! They’re absolutely golden little nuggets of wonderful that tie in perfectly with the rest of the series, and also make it harder and harder for me to wait for next season, in a good way 🙂 I’m gonna link them all up here and talk about some of the coolest tidbits, nerdy thoughts, and interesting connections in each one as we go!
NOTE: Contains spoilers from Rogue One, the first season of The Freemaker Adventures, and Rebels episode Double Agent Droid
HOME ONE: The Job Interview
After months spent soaking in the reruns, laying awake at night lost in my headcanons and theories, and occasionally worrying a second season might not even happen, seeing these shorts was like coming home! It’s so cool seeing exactly what conspired immediately after the season finale’s end (not a lot of shows do that, y’know?). I thought it was interesting the Alliance showed interest in recruiting him just on Palpatine’s rage alone. I figured word got around about the Kyber Saber incident on Coruscant, but clearly, if you end up on the Emperor’s “public enemy” list, you’re a friend of the Rebels! But the Freemakers’ job wasn’t signed and sealed until they saw what the kids could bring to the table, that being a lot of guts, ingenuity, creativity, and some serious business skills a la Kordi! Also any and all spare parts, ’cause the poor Rebs could really use ’em. Ah you guys I’m so pumped for what comes next with the series! We’re not only getting to see the Rebel Alliance in a little-explored era, but we’re getting to see what it’s like on an everyday daily basis… with a few Freemaker hijinks along the way 🙂
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– LIEUTENANT VALERIA HAS A U-WING AND I AM BOTH IN AWE AND INSANELY JEALOUS.
– I seriously can’t believe the wookiees and the trandoshans are still going at it tho.
– I may be mistaken, but I love that they finally got Lego jawas to say something besides just “uttini”.
THROWN INTO BATTLE: How To Make Friends And Win Battles
My literal reaction to seeing Chopper was a big feeling-all-gooey-inside “AWWWW!!”. I know we’ll get to see Hera in the coming season, but I had no idea if her grumpy droid would make it this far (with all the Rebels he’s angered and annoyed, it’s a little surprising he hasn’t been “dismantlated” yet). So seeing his rusty orange dome and hearing his grunts was an absolute treat. But this short’s not about Chopper, it’s a Roger adventure! It’s fun seeing the old battle droid’s creative side as well as his sociable side. And boy was that battle a close call! The Star Wars galaxy is just chock-full of beautifully unexpected heroes! 😀
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– I’m still confused as to whether Roger’s number is spelled “Ar-zero-gee-ar” or “Ar-oh-gee-ar”. I think a lot of sources spell it with a zero, so that’s what I do, but Roger referred to it with an “o”. I guess it doesn’t really make that much difference either way, but the last thing I want to do is mispell a character’s name if I can help it.
– Anyone else crack up when Roger utilized the peg on top of an astromech’s head as a cupholder? XD #OnlyInLegoStarWars
– The very fact Chopper went after Roger with blasters in hand honestly made my day. I’d originally theorized Chop and Roger wouldn’t get along well because they were on opposite sides during the Clone Wars, but getting past the initial first impressions, it looks like Chop’s found himself a new buddy to mess with! 😛
– Not gonna lie, I was kinda hoping we might get another droid musical number when R0-GR was floating around at the end… yeah I’m guessing that’s something you can only do maybe once in Star Wars, though…
ROWAN’S SECRET ADVENTURE: Caught Up In The Action
Early on, I’d originally theorized that perhaps the Rebels hired Rowan for more than just as a mechanic, maybe as a lieutenant commander! After all, he’s only twelve and he’s already saved the galaxy as well as possessing some mighty Force powers. But right now at least, he’s on the outside looking in… literally as he’s in the hangar sneaking a peek at a Rebel briefing. Ahh he’s still got that utterly precious curiosity and infectious spirit that makes my insides melt like he’s my own kid! :3 And seeing him to continue to grow his Force-building prowess just makes me so darn proud! Not to mention watching him hold his own pretty awesomely in that Y-wing… second season’s not even begun and I’m already getting feels up here over how grown-up he’s become! This one’s just too much fun you guys.
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– I never thought burnt cookies could do so much damage. Yikes.
– I’ll talk more about her later, but Valeria’s the bomb. When she don’t got time to waste, she blasts whatever’s in her way! Including large awkward chunks of Rebel ships. #Bosslady
– “BEEP BOOP! WE’RE GONNA DIE!! BOOP!” I dunno Roger makes a pretty convincing astromech to me! XD
– Think Galen Erso designed this Imperial base too? His exhaust port self-destruct functions are a trademark of his work!
ZANDER FREEMAKER, SUPERSTAR PILOT GUY: Blaze-Making
I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Zander would go into the Alliance with a burning desire to be a pilot; that’s math even Raam and Baash could understand! But I also knew someone was gonna stand in his way, and I actually theorized early on it might be a bosslady pilot. So, cool! I’m on a roll! When I’d first read the main cast listing for the coming season, I’d thought this Lieutenant Valeria was an Imperial graycoat, but I was pleased as punch to hear Yvette Nicole Brown’s stellar voice acting coming from a Rebel instead. Valeria is all energy, enthusiasm, and an honorable confidence with a touch of sass and I love her already. Also she gets to fly a U-wing and gets an awesome blue flightsuit, which just ups her coolness levels. I’m definitely looking forward to learning more about her in the coming season. In fact, the theories have already begun (Anyone else wondering where she got that scar on her left temple? Also I’m assuming Valeria’s her last name, so I want to know if she’s got a first one). But I had no idea though that Zander was gonna get into a battle this soon, and he really does own it out there! You guys don’t doubt Superstar bro here! Granted I don’t think even Sabine would approve of that much firepower on one spacecraft, and ultimately I’m getting the feeling this incident may keep Zander out of the pilot’s seat for a while, but you gotta love his zest and spunk anyway! 🙂
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– Quick thought: soooo the Rebels hardly have enough spare parts as it is, but… they somehow had enough cannons and guns lying around that they could fix ’em onto the Blazemaker? Hondo must’ve come through for them again. Heh boy’d be interesting if Captain Ohnaka crossed paths with the Freemakers again now… I bet he’d consider them friends if he knew one was a Jedi.
– Love the video game-style shots! That got a big laugh out of me and my bro.
– Anyone else think he shot down a lot a lot of bucketheads though? I get he’s defending his comrades, and I know not all of them died, but it almost seemed a bit of an edgy move for him to make, especially when he went after those TIEs in retreat with the megacannon. If it weren’t for the fact that the Rebels had already lost a couple fighters themselves it might’ve been kinda cruel. This may be war, Zander, but I don’t want you losing that noble part of you that I love. Wow that got probably a little too deep there. This is still Lego, after all… (EDIT: FORGET WHAT I SAID; TFA IS NEVER JUST “LEGO”! I meant it only in that stormtroopers don’t get killed off much in Lego but I realize that sounded like I was saying it wasn’t worth taking seriously. Forgive me for any miscommunication.)
– RIP Blazemaker. I just got around to fully appreciating it and now… yeah I sorta went through a brief period of mourning. Here’s hoping he’ll put together a 3.0 version for the next season!
BEWARE THE GAMMOREAN FLU: Sick Moves
We close out the shorts with a riveting adventure focused on the entire fam and their clever plan to help some old acquaintances. Nice seeing Durpin and Plumestriker again, though I found it interesting Durpin has suddenly gotten himself some motivation. I’m thinking his desire to arrest the Freemakers is more of a personal interest than work-related. We also learn that Durpin is a hypochondriac and I can kinda relate to that XP I love that it looks at first like their plan failed, but it turns out that was the whole point! The Imps didn’t suspect a thing! All the teamworks, all the excitement, all the Lando and all the Chewie! And of course, all the feels as the Freemakers call the Rebellion “home” :3
Assorted Fangirl Musings:
– It’s embarrassing for me to admit, but I realized watching this that I’ve been pronouncing “gammorean” wrong all these years. I’ve put more emphasis on the “mor” instead of the “rean”. Oh well you live and learn.
– This did get me thinking a lot though on SW diseases and this concept of illnesses only certain species can contract. I mean, I guess it’s not that weird, it’s just easy for me to forget that, just because certain humanoids may have similar forms, doesn’t mean that they’re all the same on the inside. It’s reasonable that gammorean immune systems and human immune systems can handle different things differently. I’d like to see some canon perspective on this though because science. Fascinating.
– “Well… here we are… watching a cell door…” “Yep…” Stormtroopers say the best things sometimes XD
– Also remind me to never get on Roger’s bad side when he’s wielding one of his own legs. K.O.’D! Anyone wonder though if he’ll have a new leg this season? Wouldn’t surprise me somehow… everyone else is getting a new look, so why leave the droid out of it? 🙂
So this was a blast to write and I look forward to writing more deep nerdy thoughts in the weeks to come as we anticipate some new Freemaker Adventures, as well as everything else exciting coming next in the Star Wars galaxy!
Keep The Peace,